The day to day ramblings of a 30 something Lancastrian. If you want to read my views on life, the great outdoors, what I am listening to and where I think people should go, then read on. If you wish to contact me please mail stewood(at)gmail.com

Friday 16 February 2007

MEN Madness

There is something that has been puzzling me for a bit. Ever since the MEN went free in the city centre, the chaps and chapesses giving them out, as well as the papershops have got all aggressive. If you don't take a paper off them, its like you have broken into their house on Christmas day and pissed on their kids.
Its the open mouths and the look of shock on their faces as if you have totally offended them and they are mortified. I have even been told to go forth by one guy on St Anns Sq when I said I didn't want one.
And the papershops are even worse. There is one I go to, we call it the Betamax shop, if you see it and look in the window, you will know what I mean. I go in about 3 or 4 times a week for a can of pop and some choccie and its the same everytime.
"Just these"
"Paper boss?"
"Aye go on, just the one."
"You sure you only want one?"
"Yes, just the one"
"You sure, take one for your friends"
"I don't have any, I only want the one paper please"
"Go on have a couple"
"No just one please"
"OK"
And lo and behold, when I open my bag of goodies back at the workhouse, there are 3 MEN's in there.
Now that is one surefire way to really annoy someone. Suppose it isn't the MEN's fault but I am sure they wouldn't be too happy at this "sales" ploy. I know that the paper has been on its arse for a little while, hence their move to be a freebie, but all this will result in is annoying people and so they wont even bother with a free paper.
Still I don't think they will be that bothered, as long as it doesn't get in the way of following footballers around the city and reporting on cats being stuck up trees in Beswick.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Dishing out free papers in town is fine, but what about the people that live in the Sticks (M24 for example) they still have to shell out Thirty Five pee per issue. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

OT x

Sam said...

Dishing out free papers in town is fine, but what about the people that live in the Sticks (M24 for example) they still have to shell out Thirty Five pee per issue. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

[i]OT x[/i]