The day to day ramblings of a 30 something Lancastrian. If you want to read my views on life, the great outdoors, what I am listening to and where I think people should go, then read on. If you wish to contact me please mail stewood(at)gmail.com

Wednesday 28 February 2007

Manchester Radio


On the way into the workhouse in a morning, I like to flick through the channels on the radio, in order to try to raise a smile before the drudge begins.
Sometimes I listen to national radio such as Talksport, but as it is fast becoming the Daily Star of the radio, its time for something else.
Now as a fan of many music genres but particularly Manchester music, I have been cocking my ear to XFM. Now I know it is a part of a national group but I when it started I expected it to reflect the local area and culture. I listened on its 1st morning, it listed the greats of the city, good start, The Stone Roses 1st song, going well. Now? Wall to wall Razorlight and Keane. Indie music for delivery drivers and salesmen. Bet Alan Partridge loves it.
So now onto The Revolution. Again I started on this pretty early, and it was poor, same music as all the others just with a bad reception. Then it started. "We play what we want!" Yes yes yes, and you know for about 18 glorious months, it did and it was superb. Clint Boon in the afternoon, on pc at work, headphones on. Superb. Rebellious jukebox, oh aye.
Then it started......first Smug Roberts, Boon left (to join XFM!!) then an influx of Manc comedians and now? Well its just seems to be a chat station, well an unfunny joke station, full of comedians who don't actually know what they are talking about (Its Kooks with an oooo not with an uk, John Warburton!!) and it seems to be lurching into XFM territory.
I'll keep with it for a bit, but its soon going the same way as XFM if it isn't careful.
So what is left?
You know what I regard as the best programme coming out of Manchester radio is at the moment? The Terry Christain breakfast show on GMR with Michelle Adamson.
Its funny, the banter between Terry and Michelle works well. Christian has a good grasp of current affairs and encyclopedic knowledge of the local area. All this means that the hour sitting in the A580 traffic in a morning is spent listening to a BBC chat station. Who would have thought it in the days waiting for XFM to start? I even have a dabble listening to Heather Stott on the way home (but only breifly I have to say)
Having said that, Michelle Mullane at weekends on XFM and Gay Garveys payola on a Sunday also on XFM are worth a listen.
But its safe to say the days of KFM and Sunset 102 are long long gone.

No comments: